Skip to content
AUT’s Real Play advice for parents
Here’s a few tips and tricks from AUT on Real Play for parents
Provide Permission to let your kids enjoy Real Play
- Make the decision to make Real Play a priority in your home and for your family
- Balance the risks of play out with the potential benefits that will come from Real Play
- Lead by example – show your kids how to enjoy Real Play
Develop a plan
- Make a list of all the ways in which your family can be involved in Real Play
- Make time for activities during the week, but don’t forgot to include a wet weather plan too!
- Check you have rain gear and gumboots for everyone
- Think about places in your neighbourhood you could get Real Play materials from (tyres, ropes, sticks etc.)
- Think outside the square with your ideas
- Be prepared to change your plans
- Don’t worry about other parents – let your kids lead the way when playing!
- Make sure your friends and family know what you are doing
- Share the experience!