Kids crafts with paper mache ideas are so much fun. Like this super cool erupting paper mache volcano project. It’s easy to make at home, so let’s get started:
- cardboard (square 2x2 feet)
- an empty small soda bottle (no lid)
- masking tape, paper mache paste (made from flour and water)
- newspaper and paint
- Place soda bottle in a centre of the cardboard and hold together with masking tape.
- Use cardboard strips to shape the volcano by taping one end to the bottle top and the other to the cardboard base.
- Overlap strips to form a sturdy base.
- Leave the bottle opening uncovered. Tear newspaper into small pieces, dip into paper mache paste and stick it all over the shape. Repeat until it’s all covered.
- Apply 2-3 layers until you get the volcano shape you like. Let it dry for 24 hours. Then paint the volcano as you like.
To make your homemade volcano erupt:
- Place outdoors on a sturdy surface.
- Gather your supplies: 1 tablespoon warm water; liquid dishwashing detergent; red food colouring; 1 TBSP baking soda; vinegar and a small paper cup.
- Mix water, dishwashing liquid and red food colouring.
- Pour into the top of the volcano.
- Add baking soda and stir with a narrow stick.
- Fill a paper cup with vinegar about 1/3 full.
- Then pour into the crater, step back and watch your homemade volcano erupt!