It’s time to let your imagination soar! Get creative with science and recycle things you no longer use.
- Like a plant pot – any sort will do. Decorate it or leave it plain.
- Next mark north, south, east and west on the pot at equal distance from each other.
- Then cram in loads of soil or stones to fill the pot.
- Make a triangle point and a tail shape from thin, plastic sheeting, an old milk carton or a clean food tray from the recycling bin.
- Tape these to each end of a plastic straw with sticky tape. Pin your straw vane to the end of a pencil with a long pin.
- Balance the straw on your finger and put the pin through the balancing point above your finger.
- Push the pin through the bead and into the eraser at the end of your pencil.
- Shove the pencil into the pot with soil and stones, making sure that the pencil is firm and can’t move.
- Grab a compass to set the position of the directions you drew on your pot. And there you have it – a super cool homemade weather vane!