Get your kids into the Halloween spirit with these creepy craft activities! Scarily fun and easy to make, each one is a fang-tastic way to let your kids explore their artistic potential, and have fun making some spooky Halloween decorations at the same time. Of course, there’s bound to be some mess left behind after your Halloween crafts but don’t fear, Persil small & mighty is here to help get your clothing clean.
Halloween Arts and Crafts – Spooky Collages and Paintings
Halloween captures the imagination of all children and it’s a great time for them to have fun expressing their creativity – plus your home will gain some homemade seasonal wall decorations with these ideas for spooky artwork.
Go on a Spooky Treasure Hunt to Collect Collage Materials
Autumn is a wonderful time to learn about the environment and the seasons, and collecting naturally spooky collage materials from the woods can be an exciting Halloween activity. Look out for dried leaves, dried flowers, and twigs as these make a great autumnal background for a collage, but don’t be afraid to let your kids pick up whatever they think will make a scary addition. Our Washing Tips & Tricks will help you to get muddy clothes cleaned up afterwards, so you don’t need to worry about your kids getting mucky on your spooky treasure hunt.
Halloween Printing and Stamping
Brushes aren’t the only thing you can paint with! Why not try covering a mini pumpkin in a variety of spooky colours, and stamping it across a sheet of paper to create some interesting Halloween-themed patterns? Conker shells also create funky Halloween patterns. Or try a bit of hand printing; handprints can make effective autumn leaves using brown, orange, red, and yellow paints. Paint the outline of a wintery tree and handprint around the branches, or glue together real twigs to make a textural piece of art.
Making Your Halloween Crafts Extra Spooky
A few inexpensive buys from your local party shop or toy shop can really spookify your children’s Halloween crafts. Give them some plastic spiders and other creepy crawlies to glue onto their collage wherever they want. Another brilliantly creepy touch is to place stick-on eyes, which you can purchase from most good craft shops, on your collage or painting, so that your child’s homemade Halloween decoration watches you wherever you go!
Halloween Craft Ideas - Spaghetti Spider Webs
Spaghetti spider webs are easy to make for all ages and produce a scary and unique homemade Halloween decoration to be hung around the house. Once you’ve made one web, your child will be hooked and you can come up with a wide range of spidery Halloween craft ideas to fill every corner of your home with wispy webs and eerie eyes watching you.
You Will Need:
- Cooked spaghetti
- Greaseproof paper
- PVA glue (suitable for use by children 3 years and up)
- Water-based paint (in any colour you fancy, but grey works well, or why not try oranges and blacks or even glitter?)
- A bucket or two (to mix the PVA and paint in)
- Plastic spiders and other plastic creepy crawlies
How to Make Spaghetti Spider Webs:
- Dip a string of spaghetti into your PVA mix, completely covering it in glue. Make sure to supervise little ones when handling this sticky product.
- Lay the PVA-covered spaghetti onto the greaseproof paper.
- Repeat step one, laying the spaghetti strings over one another in a web-like pattern. Be sure to overlap them so that they hold together once the glue is dried.
- Try using more than one bucket of PVA and paint, mixing a different colour in each, and then layering up different coloured pieces of spaghetti within one web to let your child express their creativity and choose how they want their spider web to look.
- Glue a plastic spider or two onto each web. A few plastic flies and beetles will also look great alongside the spiders!
- Leave your spaghetti webs overnight to dry.
- Carefully peel your dried spaghetti web from the greaseproof paper.
- Tie a piece of string or length of fishing line to the top of your spider web, so that it can be hung as a creepy Halloween decoration.
For more Halloween craft ideas, check out how to make a Bubbling Witch’s Cauldron here, or if you're looking for costume inspiration check out our homemade Halloween costumes article or our tips on Halloween face painting!