Spring is when lots of birds build their nests ready for laying eggs and bringing up their chicks. But can you build a nest that could keep a clutch of eggs safe? It’s time to challenge yourself.
- First, look for things on the ground that you could build your nest with, like twigs, sticks and long, dry grass.
- Now find a low fork in a tree, where two branches meet. That's where you'll be building your nest.
- If you want an extra challenge, try using just one hand – birds can only use their beaks after all! If you're with a friend, you could use one hand each and work together.
- When you've finished, look for a few small pebbles, cones or other things that could be your eggs.
- Put them in your nest – will it hold them? With your eggs still in the nest, give the branch a shake to see if your nest stands up to the wind.
- Take pics of your nest and share them with your friends.
Thanks to the RSPB for this activity.