Kids want to play. All the time! Some play is supervised and some happens in those moments when you’re not around: at school, at friend’s houses, at play groups and after school clubs. Playing is crucial to a child’s development and we, as parents, can often put up barriers to play without even realising we’re doing it.
For our global research paper, “Have a Go!”, we wanted to find out which activities kids around the world would love to ‘Have a Go’ at. We also wanted to learn about some of the concerns parents have around allowing their children to try new things.
You’ll be pleased to know that the results show you’re not alone in how you may feel when your kids tackle a new experience, but you might be surprised by the activities kids really want to try during their playtime!
Top 10 Have A Go! Activities for Kids
Here are the top ten activities children globally want to have a go at:
- Off-road or mountain bike riding (26%)
- Looking after animals in a zoo (21%)
- Sliding down a huge slippery slide (13%)
- Making a giant cake (10%)
- Rolling down a big hill (9%)
- Flying a giant kite (7%)
- Working on a farm (5%)
- Jumping in big muddy puddles (4%)
- Splash painting or finger painting (3%)
- Only 2% didn’t know or couldn’t say