Get to know your shell-wearing friends with this exciting snail farming activity.
Starting a snail farm is so easy
All you need is:
- A large plastic bottle
- Some damp soil
- Some fresh snail food, like lettuce and weeds
This is how you become a snail farmer:
- Ask an adult to cut a hole in the side of the bottle, about three inches by two inches.
- Then lay the bottle on its side so the hole is at the top.
- Next, put the damp soil in the bottle.
- Now it's time to find a snail habitat. Look around leafy plants, in the vegetable garden or at the base of brick walls.
- Put a few in your snail farm and give them some snail food.
- Now cover the bottle top and the hole you made with some sticky tap and put some small holes in the tape to make air vents.
Watch your new friends for a few days:
- What's their favourite food?
- Have they moved much?
- Can you draw them?
Don't forget to put them back after a few days!