What part do you chomp off first? The head? The leg? Gingerbread men are delicious from the first to the last bite. And it’s a fun activity for kids to get involved in the kitchen. Try this easy, low sugar gingerbread recipe that will have your gingerbread men lined up and ready to eat in no time.
So, pop on those aprons and remember to get an adult to supervise you while you’re helping in the kitchen.
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g softened butter
- 2 tsps. ground ginger
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsps. golden syrup
- Currants or icing tubes to decorate
- Grease a large baking tray and pre-heat the oven to 190°c /gas mark 5.
- Mix flour, bicarb and ginger in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter.
- Add sugar and syrup and stir in the egg to form a firm dough.
- Roll out dough to ½ cm and cut out shapes with a cutter.
- Place men on the tray, leaving space between them for spreading while cooking.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before decorating with currants or piped icing.