Pancakes are one of the easiest – and most fun – recipes you can do with your kids! This step-by-step guide to making delicious pancakes is perfect for any Pancake Day celebration. A small warning, though: They're so fun to make, you might find yourself eating these tasty snacks throughout the year! Download our pancake recipe (PDF) here to print off your own copy of the instructions below.
How to Make Pancakes for Kids
For about a dozen pancakes, you will need:
- 200g plain white flour
- 300ml milk
- 300ml water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, and an extra dash to grease the frying pan.
Easy Pancake Recipe – Method:
- Sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Make a well and break the egg into the centre, before adding a splash of milk
- Mix gently, then pour in the rest of the milk and mix until the mixture's smooth.
- Add the oil and water and beat for a minute or two.
- Now it's time to cook. Heat a splash of oil in the pan and let it get really hot, then spoon in about three tablespoons of pancake mixture and cook for just less than a minute.
- When you're ready, give it a flip, and don't be afraid of dropping it – practice makes perfect!
- Top your pancake with whatever you like. Enjoy!
Pancake ideas for kids
Anyone will tell you that it's the toppings that really make a pancake! Here are some classic combinations kids are sure to gobble up in no time:
- Sugar and lemon
- Apple, cinnamon, and raisins
- Banana and honey
- Ice cream and chocolate sauce
- Strawberry jam and cream
Making pancakes with kids can get messy!
Kids love to cook, but they love to get messy too – luckily, you can check out our stain removal tips for help when your kitchen helpers get carried away! Just remember: Before cleaning any stain, check the garment label for wash care symbols, and always conduct a test on a hidden area of fabric. Want to mix up the messiness this Pancake Day? Try our step-by-step guide to creating Pancake Art!
- Prepare your pancake mix as per the recipe above & decant into a clean squeezy nozzle bottle.
- Prepare a second batch of the mix making it thinner with an extra glug of milk and decant into a second squeezy bottle.
- Heat your frying pan, adding a small cube of butter to ensure the entire surface is well greased.
- Using your thicker mixture, create an outline of the shape you want to make in your pancake and fill in the spaces.
- Wait a few minutes until this first shape is browned at the bottom.
- Using the thinner mixture, draw a circular shape around your design and fill in to make a pancake.
- When bubbles start appearing on the surface, get ready to flip your pancake and reveal your creation!
- Heat for a further minute or two ensuring both sides are nicely browned.
- You can then add your own toppings or simply enjoy with a squeeze of honey! Delicious.
Have a great Pancake Day with your kids! We'd love to hear how it goes: Did you flip the pancakes successfully? What Pancake Art did you create? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!Try our easy pancake recipe and give the whole family just what they want this Pancake Day, or any other day of the year for that matter!