To care for delicate silk or raw silk clothing:
- Consult the garment care label
- Silk marked “Dry Clean Only” should not be washed
- Washing silk which is deeply coloured is risky as the colours may run
- For washable silk garments, do a warm hand wash in a detergent for delicates or wool
- Use a warm iron when the fabric is still slightly and evenly damp
- With raw silk cool, iron when dry
Trimmings on garments can affect how they are washed or which product is used. For example, if a garment has a leather collar the care label may say “Dry Clean Only” even if the rest of the garment is washable.