Lace is a beautiful but delicate material so it’s best to learn how to wash lace correctly in order to preserve your favourite lace bra or nightgown. Keep your lace garments and lingerie looking sleek and sophisticated with these tips on washing lace and lingerie.
How to wash lace
Whether you need to know how to care for lace bras, slips, undergarments, or delicate sleepwear, these simple tips can help you out:
- Unless otherwise specified on the garment care label, hand wash in warm water using laundry soap or a detergent without enzymes
- Use a gentle plunging action and avoid rubbing
- Do not hand wring or tumble dry
- Dry out of direct sunlight (dry lace flat)
- Iron on a cool setting if necessary, although it’s best to avoid ironing lace if possible
- Tights and stockings often lose colour when washed. To avoid dye transferring to other garments, always wash them separately
- When washing lace, lingerie, and other delicate items in the washing machine, always follow the machine manufacturers’ instructions and use the delicate or gentle cycle
- To minimise the risk of damage to your delicate items, always place them in a laundry bag when laundering in the washing machine
- If in doubt about washing lace, take your items to a dry cleaner for expert advice
Washing lingerie with lace trimmings
Trimmings on garments can affect how they are washed or which product is used. For example, a lace trim on a bra may mean it needs to be hand washed.
Always check the garment care label before washing. Often, if it’s just a small amount of lace on an item of lingerie, it should be fine to machine wash it – just follow the steps above for machine washing delicates and use a gentle detergent like Persil Non-Bio Liquid.
For more tips on washing lingerie, check out our guide on how to wash bras.