Whether you are enjoying a spot of pot-making to learn a new skill or are letting your kids have fun with clay to unleash their imagination and creativity, clay stains are bound to happen. Making something with clay is a fun activity that can be therapeutic for adults and can also help with the development of fine motor skills and creativity in children. The only problem: it’s messy! But don’t worry. We’ll show you just how to get clay stains out of clothes so that you and the kids can carry on using your favourite crafting material without worrying about pesky clay stains. Just follow our tips below to remove clay stains after your next craft project.
How to remove clay stains
As with most stains, you should start the removal process as soon as you notice the mark. A clay stain tends to stick to the garment, and the easiest trick to remove it is to leave it to dry before wiping or washing it off. This is because a stain like this can easily spread to other areas of the garment if you try to deal with it while it is still wet. Once dried, clay stains don’t take long to remove – especially if you follow these clay stain removal techniques:
How to get clay out of clothes with laundry detergent
If your clay stain is relatively small and fresh, then you may be able to remove it with a single treatment of a laundry detergent like Persil. You should always check the washing instructions on your garment to select an appropriate wash temperature and test the detergent on a small area first to avoid causing damage.
- To remove clay stains effectively, you should first leave the stains to dry completely before attempting to remove them
- Next, scrape off the clay using a spoon or a blunt object by running it down the weave of the garment. Avoid scraping it across as this could damage the fabric and do not use wet wipes or wet toilet paper as they could spread the stain further
- Use a soft brush or an old toothbrush to gently remove the leftover clay stains that cannot be removed with the spoon
- Pre-treat the clay stain before washing your garment in a normal wash. Apply a stain removal solution or a small amount of Persil Bio liquid to the stain and allow it to soak into the fibres. This will soften and relax the stain and is more effective than a water treatment
- After pre-treatment, wash the garment as normal with your regular detergent and leave to dry naturally. Check for any remaining clay stains and repeat steps 3 and 4 as required.
When using this method, it is important that you follow the instructions on the packaging of your detergent carefully. You should also avoid using bleach directly on white clothes to remove clay stains because it can cause damage and stain clothes permanently if not used correctly or left on fabrics for too long.
How to get clay stains out of clothes with vinegar and salt
If you have noticed that a clay stain has not been completely removed, even after applying a stain remover or a liquid detergent, then you may want to try an alternative approach.
- Mix one cup of white vinegar and three tablespoons of iodised salt together and spread the mixture onto the clay stains
- Leave the mixture to loosen the stains on the garment for about an hour
- Rinse the mixture off gently with cold water before washing your garment in the washing machine
When washing your clothes after a pre-treatment, you should use an effective laundry product that will help to lift any remaining signs of a clay stain. A powerful laundry detergent, like Persil liquid, can help you tackle clay stains and other common marks. Now that you know that clay stain removal can be easily managed at home with a good stain remover and an effective pre-treatment method, you can enjoy craft activities by yourself or with your kids without worrying about the impact it’ll have on your weekly wash.
And don’t forget to check out our other great stain removal advice – like how to remove paint stains and how to get rid of permanent marker stains – to help you clean up after other craft activities. Our handy Stain Cheat Sheet is great for helping put common stains in their place and is free to download.