Keeping your home clean and aired can help turn your home into a skin-friendly zone. See our tips below to help ensure that you and your family’s skin stays healthy and beautiful.
Dust mites & allergens
- Dust mites and allergens lurk in many places in the home. They particularly thrive in warm damp conditioners and can be found in clothing, mattresses, bedclothes, pillows and carpets.
- Regular laundering is a very effective method of removing these allergens. For effective allergen removal use warm water (at least 25°C). To kill dust mites wash bed linen and clothes at temperatures of 60°C or above
- Opening windows and vacuuming regularly helps keep them at bay
- Use cotton bed linen and keep it clean and fresh
- If you have sensitive skin, protective gloves can help when cleaning and prevent contact with cleaning products and dirt (try latex free gloves)
- Ensure rooms are well ventilated when using general household cleaners
- Try to avoid aerosol products
- Damp-dusting helps to capture dust rather than spread it to other places
- We suggest using products which can be poured onto a cloth rather than sprayed on. Liquid cleaners (creamed-based ones) Cif may be more suitable
- After cleaning, moisturise your hands with a product like Vaseline Intensive Rescue Soothing Hand Cream for very dry skin
Air quality and temperature
- Don’t smoke or allow people to smoke indoors
- Avoid extreme temperatures (hot or cold) as these can dry out the skin
- Do not have your air conditioning set too low in summer or too high a temperature during the winter months
- You might want to invest in a humidifier or create your own by putting a container of water near the heater in each room of your home during winter months
- Air-conditioning also dries the skin, so ensure regular water intake and moisturise your skin regularly with a product such as Vaseline Intensive Care.