Ready for an adventure? Then let your imagination take flight with this easy paper mache hot air balloon. It’s messy, but mess is part of the fun!
- a balloon
- a cereal bowl
- newspaper strips
- strips of white paper
- small yoghurt pot
- a paper cup
- wool needle
- adhesive tape
- Blow up the balloon and tie a knot in the neck.
- Balance it on the cereal bowl.
- Using the paintbrush, cover the balloon in glue and stick newspaper strips on from top to bottom.
- Overlap three layers of newspaper and finish with a fourth layer of white paper.
- Leave to dry for 24 hours.
- Pop the balloon, cut a neat circle around the bottom of the shell, return to bowl and paint. Leave to dry.
- Next, thread the needle with the wool and pierce a hole a centimetre above the bottom opening of the balloon. Pull the thread through and leave a loop dangling down. Repeat three times to form the four ‘ropes’ that will attach the basket to the balloon.
- Choose the object that will be used as a basket and decorate it.
- Glue the wool to its four corners.
- Finally, use the needle and wool, pierce two holes at the top of the balloon. Form a loop and hang your paper mache hot air balloon from the ceiling. Pop your doll or teddy in and take to skies.