Tomatoes are a great veggie for kids to grow, as they don’t require much space and can be grown out in a garden or balcony, as long as there’s plenty of sunlight. They’ll take a couple of months to grow, but once they’re ready, they produce plenty to pick for snacks, salads and sauces!
What you need:
- A large pot or two
- Bamboo canes
- Compost from your local garden centre
- A tomato plant seedling (or seeds)
What to do:
- Put the compost in your pot
- Dig a really deep hole in the pot using a stick or trowel
- Pop your tomato plant seedling in the hole and fill with more compost. (If you want to grow tomatoes from seed you’d need to sow March / April.)
- Stick a bamboo cane in the soil next to the plant so it has a support as it grows, when it gets taller you can tie it gently to the cane with string
- Water it well and often, tomatoes love moisture and sunlight
- After about eight weeks you’ll be able to pick your juicy tomatoes, and enjoy!