Have you tried using washing machine capsules? As with any product out there, they come with a set of instructions, and in this article we explain exactly how to use washing capsules efficiently. There are also some important safety rules to bear in mind when using capsules. As all parents will know, kids are naturally curious and before you know it your little ones picked up whatever’s around them, be it a crayon, a banana, a capsule, or even the petrified family cat!
Remember it’s essential to keep washing capsules in a secure location out of the reach and sight of young children.
Top tip: When you use capsule detergents, it’s important to follow the instructions on the packaging. If you do notice some residues on clothes after your wash cycle has finished, rinse immediately with warm water before drying.
How to Use Washing Capsules
- Place the capsule at the back of the drum: It is important that you put the washing machine capsule at the back of the empty drum, before putting in your laundry. This will allow for the capsule to dissolve properly and not get caught in one of the garments for the whole cycle, which could leave you with residue on your clothing.
- Do not overload the washing machine: If there isn’t sufficient space or water for the clothing to move around in the wash cycle, this can cause the capsule to leave residue. Make sure to allow for about 10 centimeters of space between the top of the drum and your laundry.
- Use the right temperature: Read the product’s label carefully. If the instructions state that you should use a washing temperature above 30 degrees, it means that the capsule will activate and dissolve only if you set the machine at the required temperature.
How to Remove Residue from Detergent Capsules
Unfortunately, on a rare occasion – you may have unintentionally overloaded the machine, or popped the capsule in at the last minute – detergent residue may be left behind on clothes. Follow these steps to help get rid of residue.
Remember to check the care label of your garment before attempting stain removal and to test any stain removal solution on a small inconspicuous area of the garment first.
- As soon as you notice residue on the garment, rinse the stain under warm water to remove as much residue as possible.
- Then, gently squeeze the excess water from the item and lay it out flat.
- Moisten a cotton ball with a small amount of rubbing alcohol and gently rub the stain, making sure it covers all of the stain.
- Leave it to soak for at least ten minutes – the longer, the better.
- Use warm or hot water and rinse the fabric again. (Be sure to check the care label on your garment to see what temperatures it can withstand).
The stain should now be gone. If there are still traces of the stain left, repeat the steps above.
Key Steps for Using Washing Capsules
For optimum results when doing the laundry, you should always read your washing machine’s manual and the label provided on your detergent’s container. For detergent capsules, keep these key points in mind and your clothes will come out of the wash clean and fresh!
- Do not place the laundry capsule in the corner dispenser or drawer dispenser of your washing machine. It should be placed at the back of the empty drum, before putting in the laundry!
- Only use one capsule per load.
- Capsules are designed to dissolve in water, so there’s no need to cut or tear one open before popping it in the washing machine. Our new Powercaps washing capsules are designed to dissolve fast and get to work on stains quickly.
- Remember to only use the capsule when your hands are dry – contact with moisture will cause it to start dissolving.
- It’s best to avoid overfilling your washing machine. When loading your machine be sure to leave about 10 centimeters between your laundry and the top of the drum.
- If the capsule is not able to dissolve properly (resulting in residue stains on your clothing), you should rinse the residue out of the fabric before tumble-drying. The heat could set the stain and cause permanent staining.
- Always seal the container securely after each use!
For more information on using our washing capsules in particular, check out our article on how to use Persil capsules – there’s even a handy video demo.