Forgot to empty the washing machine straight away? You may end up with mouldy clothes! These unsightly spots of brown, grey, black, or green can also develop if you leave wet clothes or towels lurking in a heap at the bottom of the laundry basket, or store fabrics in a damp place. Thankfully, it’s not too difficult to remove mould on clothes. This guide explores different techniques and products to remove mould from clothes, as well as advice on using Persil Powercaps washing capsules as a follow up to mould stain removal.
How to Get Rid of Mould on Fabric in 5 Steps
Once you’ve discovered mould on clothes, the treatment depends on how old the mould stains are as well as the type of fabric. Fresh mould stains can often be removed simply by laundering with a good quality detergent like Persil Powercaps, so you may even be able to skip Steps 2 and 3 below.
- Check garment care labels – As always, follow the manufacturer instructions, especially in regards to the suggested water temperature for your garment, as well as how it should be dried.
- Rub in a mould stain remover and/or scrub it off with a toothbrush – Using one of the products suggested below, apply the solution to the mould stain. If the fabric is tough, like cotton or denim, you can try gently scrubbing off the mould with a clean toothbrush and the selected product. But try not to damage the fabric in the process!
- Let the stain dry in the sun, or pre-soak it – Again, this depends on the type of fabric. Sunlight is great at removing mould from fabric, but it can also fade colours and damage delicate fabrics. So a white cotton T-shirt can be dried in the sun, but not a colourful nylon shirt. Alternatively, you can pre-soak the stained garment for up to an hour in one of the solutions suggested below.
- Wash at the hottest temperature possible with Persil Powercaps – Hot water has the best chance of killing mould spores, but follow the care label’s instructions for the safest temperature to wash your garment. The Triple Action formula in Persil Powercaps gives you stain removal, freshness, and clothing care in one handy capsule – perfect for tackling mould stains and getting rid of that 'damp' smell on your clothes. Just pop one or two capsules in the washing machine drum (check your pack for dosage tips) before adding your clothes.
- Hang-dry your clothing in the sun – If the mould stains are still there, you may want to repeat some of the previous steps, but a final hang-dry in the sun will help zap any remaining mould.
Want to know more? Keep on scrolling for more information on mould removing products!