Your washing machine, along with your Persil detergent, does a lot of hard work: getting load upon load of laundry fresh and clean, and banishing the mud and stains that active children have on their clothes’s. Which is why it’s so important to give your machine a little regular care and cleaning so that your family can continue having fun getting messy.
To keep your washing machine in tip top condition and to prevent it from developing nasty odours it is important that you clean it regularly.
This easy guide provides a few simple tips for regular washing machine maintenance and suggestions for how to keep your machine clean and smelling fresh.
How to Clean a Washing Machine
It’s not the most glamorous of jobs but giving your washing machine a good once-over every so often will keep it in peak condition. If you’re methodical about it, the whole process really won’t take long – just follow these easy steps:
- Consult your machine’s manual for instructions on how to clean your machine. Some manufacturers discourage the use of de-scaling products or cleaners in their machines and using them may invalidate your warranty, however, limescale in the drum can be removed using a specialist anti-limescale product and may be of particular importance if you live in a hard water area, but do check your manufacturer’s instructions first.
- For front-loading machines, remove the detergent drawer (your manual may have instructions for how to do so). Soak it in hot water and use an old (clean) toothbrush to remove any residue or mould. Rinse it thoroughly and let it dry before putting it back.
- Use a regular dose of a bleach-containing powder such as Persil Bio or Non Bio , set your machine on a 60°C cycle and run your machine empty.
- At the end of the cycle open the door and air-dry the inside of the drum. If any bad odour or residue remains, repeat the process.
- Finally, take a damp cloth and wipe around the rubber seals of the machine, being careful to lift them away from the metal where possible to get any residue that’s hidden away. Wipe the surfaces of your machine, too.
- Your washing machine should now smell fresh and clean!