Underwear and gym clothes need to be washed regularly and thoroughly, but with a little extra care, since they're often made out of delicate and easy-to-damage fabric. Washing them the wrong way, or with the wrong detergent, can cause them to lose their elasticity and shape, so it’s important to be vigilant and get things right the first time – no one wants to feel their leggings gently sliding off in the gym, after all!
Read on to find out how to wash lingerie and gym clothes thoroughly and gently, so they stay in great shape.
Tips on washing gym clothes
Despite being made of elasticated fabric, most gym clothes can be machine washed safely.
- Want to know how to get the smell out of gym clothes? The trick is to stop them from getting too smelly in the first place. Turn them inside out and hang them up to air as soon as you take them off to keep them from getting smelly or developing mildew.
- Always follow the washing instructions on the garment care tag when washing gym clothes. If the gym wear is made of modern-tech stretchy fabric, it is best to avoid using water temperatures higher than 30 °C, as this could damage the fabric.
- Add a fresh-smelling detergent that works just as well on quick and cool washes, like Persil Small & Mighty Bio.
- Once the wash cycle has finished, dry the gym wear according to the instructions on the garment care tag. It is usually best to air-dry modern-tech fabrics to help preserve their elasticity. If you need to tumble dry them, make sure that the tumble dryer is set to a low temperature.
Tips on washing underwear in the sink
Washing underwear in the washing machine is usually no problem for underwear made out of cotton or synthetic fibres – simply follow the directions on the garment care tag. However, washing underwear in the sink (or a handwashing basin or bucket) is the recommended method for any items that are made out of delicate fabrics, like lace or silk. Always check the garment care tag beforehand if you're unsure.
- To begin washing underwear in the sink, fill the sink basin with lukewarm water mixed with a dose of detergent that is designed for washing delicate fabrics like, Persil Silk and Wool.
- Soak the underwear for 30 minutes, before swishing it around gently to loosen any dirt.
- Rinse the underwear thoroughly until you are sure that all the detergent has been removed.
- Gently squeeze out the underwear, without wringing, before hanging it up to air dry.
Keeping your gym clothes and underwear fresh, clean and in great condition should be a breeze with these tips!