When we reflect back on our childhoods, it’s safe to say that many of our fondest memories include outdoor activities and adventures: School sports days, climbing trees, games of “It” and “Stuck in the Mud”. However, what we probably don’t recall is the pain and hassle that our parents had to endure when it came to removing grass stains from our clothes! If your children are always roaming free outdoors, it’s likely that you’re familiar with the sight of mud and grass stains smeared on their clothes – particularly on trouser knees.
Luckily, there’s certainly no need to keep your child from playing outside: there are several excellent and guaranteed methods for grass stain removal (including using Persil small & mighty, which is effective on grass stains), and we can also provide advice for dealing with mud stains, too. Read on for stain removal tips from Persil.
Preliminary Steps for Mud & Grass Stain Removal
Before we start explaining how to remove grass stains and mud stains from clothes, it’s imperative that the following precautions and steps are taken prior to the removal process.
- Make sure that any method and product is first tested on a small, inconspicuous area of the garment, such as the inside hem.
- Read the care labels on your clothes. This will give you an idea on whether or not the product or technique works with the specific material at hand.
- Read the instructions on any product labels. Again, this will provide you with an idea of whether the material is suited to the product and method you wish to apply.
How to Remove Grass Stains and Get Mud out of Coloured Clothes
There are several techniques and products that can be used when removing grass stains from coloured clothes – these particular methods explain how to get mud out of clothes as well. The technique will differ depending on the fabric at hand; therefore, it is important to check the care label, as mentioned above. For viscose, synthetic, nylon, polyester, cotton, and polyamide, the following method will apply:
- Carefully rub the grass stained area with a good quality liquid biological detergent, leave to work for a few minutes, and then rinse. Persil small & mighty works both as a regular detergent and a stain pre-treatment. It also comes with a Stain Eraser Ball to make the process easy.
- Then wash your garment either by hand or in the washing machine using your detergent as usual.
How to Remove Grass Stains and Mud from Delicates
For silk and wool clothing, you should first check the label to find out more about how to wash that particular garment. If it is suitable for your fabric, you can gently apply methylated spirits (you can get these at the chemist) to the grass stain before either hand washing or placing on a gentle “hand wash” cycle in your washing machine.
Do not use methylated spirits if the garment contains acetate, follow any safety instructions on the label, and make sure that you use a detergent that is suitable for these delicate materials.
Grass Stain Removal for Acetate Clothes
With acetate clothes, it’s best to leave it to a professional dry cleaner – they will understand how to get mud stains out of clothes and remove grass stains without damaging the material. Seek professional advice! For even more advice on how to remove mud and grass stains, check out our advice on how to use laundry capsules to remove stains.
Do you have any tips on how to get mud stains out of clothes? Or any amusing stories related to grass stain removal? Leave us a comment below!