Have you ever found yourself wondering what the difference between bio and non-bio detergent is while doing your weekly shop? Well, wonder no more! Here’s everything you need to know about biological and non-biological detergents, helping you to decide which type of detergent would be most beneficial for you and your family.
Bio? Non-Bio? What’s the Difference?
Whether you’re tossing up the difference between bio and non-bio laundry liquid or choosing between bio or non-bio capsules and washing powders, you need to first know what defines each of them.
- What is biological detergent? Biological clothes detergent contains enzymes that help break down the fatty, greasy, and starchy compounds that are found in some of the most common clothing stains such as pasta sauces, bike oil, and hamburger grease. These enzymes work to lift the stains out of fabrics, making them excellent stain removers and a very welcome addition to laundry detergents, turning stain removal into a quick and easy task.
- What is non-biological laundry detergent? Non-biological detergents do not contain these enzymes and can be kinder next to sensitive skin which makes them popular with families who have sensitive skin. Good non-bio detergents, like Persil, still contain powerful cleaning agents that will ensure your clothing comes out of the washing machine clean and fresh, you just might need to use a slightly higher temperature when washing with non-bio detergents – especially when tackling particularly tough stains.
As you can see, the main difference between bio and non-bio washing powders, liquids, and capsules is their use of enzymes. For further explanation, you can find more information about the difference between bio and non-bio here.
What are the Advantages of Bio Detergent?
The advantages of bio detergents are undoubtedly their powerful stain removal. Biological clothes detergent contains enzymes that enzymes work to lift even the toughest the stains out of your clothes, like grass or chocolate ice cream. They remove stains first time, even in a quick wash at 30 degrees. This can help you to save time and energy but also helps to powerfully clean your clothes and bedding without turning the temperature high, which can damage more delicate fabrics.
If your kids are active (and messy), you can toss their soiled laundry into the machine with any Persil Bio detergent for a quick clean!
What are the Advantages of Non-Bio Detergent?
While the enzymes found in biological detergents are great at stain removal, they could cause mild reactions in those with very sensitive skin. If enzymes remain on clothing after a wash and rubs against the skin, some people may notice a mild reaction – however, this is rare.
In addition, another benefit of Persil Non Bio is that it has a gentle fragrance. Persil Non-Bio is hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested, making it gentle next to sensitive skin. Persil skincare research is recognised by the British Skin Foundation.
Many new parents choose non-bio detergents as they remove tough stains caused by messy little ones, while being gentle next to delicate baby skin.
Please note that no effective laundry detergent can be guaranteed suitable for people with serious skin conditions. If you suffer from unusually sensitive skin, please contact your doctor for advice.
Not Sure When to Use Bio or Non-Bio?
We’ve already answered 'what is the difference between bio and non-bio washing powders, liquids, and capsules' but how do you know which is best for you and your family?
- If your children are now ‘big kids’ rather than babies – and if there’s no history of skin complaints in the family – you may find using biological detergent more convenient. As biological detergents have a little helping hand in the form of stain-removing enzymes, they’re very effective at lower temperatures (they even work great at 30 degrees), and in quick washes. As every busy parent will know, sometimes the ‘quick wash’ cycle is essential, especially when getting those school uniforms clean and dry over the weekend.
- However, if someone in your household has sensitive skin, we would recommend a non-bio detergent. Many mums and dads with little ones like to use non-bio products when washing their baby’s clothing – Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure are an excellent combination for parents who want to wrap up their little ones in clean, soft clothing and help to reduce the risk of skin irritation – our research has even been recognised by the British Skin Foundation. Non-bio detergents are also great for those with ageing skin, which can become more sensitive and delicate.
How to Use Non-Bio & Bio Detergents
The great news is that there’s really no difference between how you use biological or non-biological detergents. Both types of laundry detergent can be added directly to your washing machine – either in the detergent drawer or into the drum itself.
The method of use depends on the format of detergent you choose, such as if you choose a liquid a capsule or a powder! Read our article on where to put laundry detergent to learn how to use your favourite format correctly.
Persil has an extensive range of bio and non-bio products, including liquids, washing powder, and our 3 in 1 capsules. Since you no longer need to wonder what non-bio washing liquid or powder means or what bio clothes detergent is good for, why not search our list of products to find the best one for you? You’ll find three main products in both bio and non-bio ranges:
Persil Washing Liquid
- Liquid detergents are convenient and easy to use as you can flexibly dose the amount of liquid you use.
- Persil Liquid Detergent removes stains first time, even in a quick wash.
- Made with plant-based, biodegradable stain removers, this laundry detergent is tough on stains, kinder to our planet.
- The new super-concentrated formula of our Persil Bio Liquid Detergent and Persil Non-Bio Liquid Detergent also provides brilliant stain removal, fabric care and freshness in a smaller bottle, reducing plastic waste.
- The bottle is 100% recyclable and contains recycled plastic.
Not sure which to choose? Our bio liquids are also ideal for parents with small kids who love to get messy, as you can pre-treat any stains with the neat liquid swift and easy. Meanwhile our non-bio range is hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested and has skincare research recognised by the British Skin Foundation which is ideal if you are particularly concerned about sensitive skin. You can pre-treat stains with our non-bio liquids too!
Persil 3 in 1 Washing Capsules
- Persil Washing Capsules are placed directly into the drum of your washing machine, with your clothes on top, for easy, effortless laundry. You can learn more about how to use washing capsules here.
- Washing capsules are pre-measured for you, saving you hassle of pouring out liquids or powders, and preventing possible overdosing.
- Our capsules are also made with plant-based, biodegradable stain removers and our capsules tubs are 100% recyclable.
- Our Persil Bio Washing Capsules provide 3 benefits in one easy to use capsule; tough stain removal, freshness, and clothing care.
- Our Persil Non-Bio Washing Capsules are gentle next to sensitive skin while being tough on stains and made with plant-based, biodegradable stain removers.
Persil Washing Powder
- Persil Non-Bio and Bio Powder can be messy to pour but non-bio powder detergents have incredible cleaning power as they contain bleach for efficacious cleaning.
- Our Persil Bio Washing Powder contains the enzymes needed to remove stains first time and bleach for efficacious cleaning.
- Our bio powder detergents also contain encapsulated fragrance, for a fresh fragrance on your clothes that lasts!
- Persil Non-Bio Washing Powder is gentle next to sensitive skin and tough on stains.
- Our bio and non-bio detergents also contain biodegradable ingredients.
We recommend using Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure; the number one laundry products for those with sensitive skin*. Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure are suitable for all the family and we recommend using them together if you are washing clothes for babies or someone with sensitive skin. Both Non-Bio and Comfort Pure are hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested and developed using skincare research recognised by the British Skin Foundation. Our Non-Bio detergent will remove stains while being gentle next to delicate skin, and Comfort Pure conditioner keeps fibres smoother during the wash so clothes feel soft and gentle.
Whichever laundry solution you use, remember that all cleaning products should be kept safely out of the reach of children.
Bio vs. Non-Bio – the conclusion
Whether you decide to use bio or non-bio detergent, you’ll be happy to know that you have plenty of choice when it comes to choosing a laundry detergent. Your favourite Persil detergents are available in both bio and non-bio options, including Persil Liquid, Persil Capsules and Persil Washing Powder.
Don’t worry, it’s easy to tell what is non-biological and what is biological – all Persil ‘non-bio’ clothes detergent is blue and ‘bio’ products are green. Look out for them the next time you do your weekly shop, and whether you choose bio or non-bio, remember to always follow the instructions on the detergent's label.
For specific safety advice on using capsules, check out our safety instructions for kids and parents here.
Now that you know the difference between bio and non-bio detergent, which one will you use?
*Based on AC Nielsen Volume Sales Oct 2020